Network usage

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jun 12 00:43:11 CDT 2003

Quoting David Holland <david at gotoacs.com>:

> My employer has asked me to find a utility that will monitor LAN web
> usage.  Specifically, who is going where, when, for how long, etc.
> Various searches on Google find internet providers that supply these
> services but I'm looking to sell this software to my customers.  The
> network configurations vary as well.  In some cases I'll be working with
> Win2k as a DNS or Exchange server or no server at all and just a router
> or PIX firewall.  I welcome any suggestions.

The broadest solution would be to install a proxy server, which should come
with some reporting utilities.

It's worth noting that spying on workers is not very good for employee morale,
but with the current unemploment situation that probably isn't a concern for
management.  It has been shown that workers who are managed by output - what
they actually get done, as opposed to activity - what they're actually doing
at any given moment - are much more productive.  It has also been shown that
users who are allowed unrestricted access to the internet from work are
generally more productive than those who aren't.   They are able to take care
of trivial tasks that they would otherwise have to take time away from work to
do.

In spite of the study after study though, micro-management, intrusive employee
surveilance, and treating workers like the enemy continue to be popular among
certain managers.