LinNeighborhood error message

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Jun 11 15:27:55 CDT 2003

Quoting "David A. Foote" <dfoote1 at swbell.net>:
(Please set KCLUG to receive plain text only)

> Hello, I'm David and I'm running into a problem with LinNeighborhood.
> When I try to mount a share I get the following message: smbmnt must be
> installed suid root for direct user mounts (500,500) smbmnt faied: 1.
> Can someone interpret this and tell me how to fix the error?  It was
> working fine before I upgraded my system to X2 desktop.  I'm running
> RedHat 9.0 and attempting to share with a notebook running XP,  Thanks.

I must admit that "LinNeighborhood" is a new territory for me - haven't seen
any discussion of what it's supposed to offer or how it's supposed to work, I
guess you're supposed to intuit it from having used Microsoft products.

What samba packages did you install?  Have you configured your smb.conf and
used testparms to see that it's set up correctly?  Is your NMB client running?
What happens when you browse the XP shares with smbclient?  Can you mount the
shares locally as root?

I use autofs to mount my NT Server shares on my system, that way they're
always there if I need 'em.