Replacing bad CDRom drive

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Tue Jun 10 02:34:52 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Jon Moss wrote:

> I believe the CDROM drive is an IDE drive.  I will create a boot floppy
> with the drivers just in case.

Yes, you may have to use a floppy.  Depends on if your computer can
support the larger boot images most distributions use these days.

The BIOS in some computers, such as my Toshiba laptop, weren't programmed
to recognize the larger "floppy boot images" that are used in the bootable
cdroms.  It seems redhat used a 2.4MB boot floppy image to make their
cdroms bootable, breaking the ability for me to boot off their
distribution.  So, I had to use a floppy.

--
Programming C shells by the sea shore since 1994.
http://dattaway.org