The List has returned! [x-adr]

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Thu Jul 31 21:27:00 CDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:41:31 -0500
"Matt G" <linux at bizniche.com> wrote:

> This whole sendmail thing bring up some newby questions for me.
>
> What are the peices of a mail server.  I have my little web server
> running now, and am interested in trying out a small email server.
> Right now, I have a dyndns.org domain name that I'm using with my
> server, and it's working great.  Services that are running well are
> apache, php, mysql etc.
>
> This is a debian box, K6 233mhz.  20gb hdd, 32mb ram.  There are 2
> users that ever use it for any reason.
>
> So...I figure there are 3 main parts right?
>
> A component to send mail (sendmail)
> A component to receive mail. ???
> A componene to check mail locally or remotely.  (pine?  some pop3
> client? some imap client?  squirrelmail?)
>
> If anyone can demystify this for me, I'd love it.  I'm willing to do
> some reading and work for this...just don't know where to start.

  A fairly common mistake is that Sendmail is only used to "send
E-mail".  In fact it is used to receive E-mail as well. For a
typical E-mail server you need:

  1) Sendmail to send/receive E-mail
  2) A POP3 and/or IMAP Daemon ( wu pop, Qpopper, Cyrus, etc )

  The rest ( pine, squirrelmail, etc ) are all optional and used
either on the user's machine or are a webmail interface, etc.