The List has returned! [x-adr]

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Thu Jul 31 20:41:48 CDT 2003

This whole sendmail thing bring up some newby questions for me.

What are the peices of a mail server.  I have my little web server running
now, and am interested in trying out a small email server. Right now, I have
a dyndns.org domain name that I'm using with my server, and it's working
great.  Services that are running well are apache, php, mysql etc.

This is a debian box, K6 233mhz.  20gb hdd, 32mb ram.  There are 2 users
that ever use it for any reason.

So...I figure there are 3 main parts right?

A component to send mail (sendmail)
A component to receive mail. ???
A componene to check mail locally or remotely.  (pine?  some pop3 client?
some imap client?  squirrelmail?)

If anyone can demystify this for me, I'd love it.  I'm willing to do some
reading and work for this...just don't know where to start.

Matt