Serial printing.

ismgr ismgr at atchisonkansas.net
Wed Jul 23 13:45:07 CDT 2003

Have an HP LaserJet 2100M setup with Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 using CUPS.

I was trying to setup the printer as a Serial port printer since all the
rest of the settings in the CUPS administrator didn't seem to apply
(IPP, JetDirect, etc) and it isn't an IP printer of any sort that I can
tell.

It has a LocalTalk/serial connection and a parallel connection.

My question is since I can't seem to get the serial port setup to work
(YDL says there is no device under the given one listed in CUPS,
identified as ttyS1 - checked /dev and confirmed it) could I perhaps
consider a USB-->parallel converter to work in it's place and set it up
as a USB printer via the add-on USB card in this machine?

YDL has like 15-16 USB devices listed in /dev and in the CUPS admin.

I was just wondering, because I'd really like to be able to use this
printer and don't really want to have to expend more money for a new one.

That said, however, a converter may likely cost me as much as a new HP
or Lexmark USB inkjet.

Can anyone give me thoughts/experience installing either brand of inkjet
on different distros?

Thanks, all and take care.

Chris