"invalid compressed format (err=1)"]

Chris Hoelscher mohoelx at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 21 12:50:00 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 21:27, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> Try setting the drive for ata 100 or lower, if possible, until after the
> install.  Then you can tweak hdparm.  Just a thought.
> Brian
>
> Chris Hoelscher wrote:
>
> > tag-on question... Does RH9 support ata133?  Got WinXP loaded o.k., and
> > a "Linuxcare" emergency CD loads, Dr.Dos from Caldera (the Maxtor boot
> > disk) work, but RH 8, RH 9, and Suse Live-Eval all choke on
> > uncompressing...
> >
> > Also, ran a memory check (extensive one that comes with Suse Live-Eval)
> > and it ran over and over with no errors - RAM seems to be fine.
> >
> > Last thing I checked is MD5SUM on the ISO image, and it's perfect....
> >
> > Any good ideas?
> >
> > Thanks -

> > Subject:
> > [kclug] "invalid compressed format (err=1)"
> > From:
> > Chris Hoelscher <mohoelx at sbcglobal.net>
> > Date:
> > 19 Jul 2003 14:04:39 -0500
> > To:
> > kclug at kclug.org

> > the selection screen o.k., and no matter what options I select
> > (graphical, text, noprobe, etc) I get the following error;
> >
> > invalid compressed format (err=1)
> >
> > Done some Google and RH Support searches, but not finding anything very
> > recent nor very definitive...  Lots of "Dude, try this - it might help".
> >
> > I used this CD to update my existing system from RH 8 to 9, but on the
> > chance that the CD had issues, I went ahead and burned a new copy - same
> > story.
> >
> > Any good suggestions?
> >
> > Using the following;
> > Shuttle AK39N
> > DDR333 ram
> > Athlon XP 2000
> > Nvidea 440sx video

Well, in response to another suggestion, I can't boot into 'init 1' because I
can't get the install to fly, and of course that means no lilo.conf to offer.

As for setting the drive/IDE channel to ATA100, I'm not finding anything in
BIOS as an option for that.  I have tried various combinations in the BIOS
such as setting the IDE channel to LBS, CHS, Large, and Auto (the only options
I have) and various combinations of PIO mode and DMA mode, but no joy.

Is there any old-style back-door (like loadlin) that can be used under WinXP Pro?
Autorun (RH 9) and loadlin themselves both complain about being in virtual x86
mode and refuse to run....

Next thing I'm going to try is installing a floppy drive and trying to boot from
floppy (as opposed to CD-Rom), but I don't have much hope for that.....

Thanks again for any other ideas...

Chris Hoelscher.