Boot problem.

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Jul 15 22:32:06 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 08:49 pm, Chris Wagner wrote:

> Not sure what window manager this is, but it looks I'm booting into X
> and not really using any desktop environment.

> What file do I edit to use a default environment and what's the
> typical way to start it up.

With Yellowdog you're better off looking at their documentation, presumably on
their website, but with a Sys V type system you set the default run level in
/etc/inittab.  On a Wintel box, it's Ctrl-Alt-F(1-6) to get a console.

(x)DM is the Display Manager that handles logins.  I think the root is XDM,
but there are KDM for KDE and GDM for Gnome and Mandrake has it's own
version, so you'll have to look for YDL's Desktop Switching Tool or find
their docs.

If you have a bootloader like grub or lilo, you should be able to enter "linux
3" to get runlevel 3 (console mode) at startup.  Otherwise, try "linux
single" for a limited console with no networking, suitable for working out
GUI bugs.

The City owes us a beer or something.  Maybe just get the bridge fixed.