USB or Parallel external storage device question?

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sat Jul 12 15:57:35 CDT 2003

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Joe Cho wrote:

> So, I'm planning on purchasing an external hard drive storage( around 50
> GB size ) with a reasonable price. but, one thing I need to know more
> about Linux box device. since I use Linux box more often ( I pretend to
> be more power user).

I use the Microsolutions Backpack.  Its a 30GB USB/parallel port device,
but the cover can be taken off and drives can be swapped.  It converts to
a true IDE bus, allowing me to cable up two drives in master/slave.  It
will let me put my 160GB drive in there too.

The stock Linux kernel has drivers for most of external drives included as
built in or modules, depending how your distribution is configured.
Automounting may or may not be already configured.  I believe Redhat
should have this (I would hope so) as default by now.

Be sure to format the partitions with whatever format Windows uses these
days.

--
http://dattaway.org