Open Wireless AP...find the owner?

Bob Ferrier boblist at kc.rr.com
Sat Jul 12 07:38:46 CDT 2003

 Lets start at the beginning...  If you find an open access point, so
far law precedent states that you cannot be sued, or prosecuted for
accessing the internet through that access.   however, accessing the
computers, and or peripherals shared through that network fall under
the standard anti hacking laws...    any type of access could
possibly land you jail time/fines.

second...   this could be a "honeypot" a test system dedicated to
pinpointing intrusions and situations as described above.

third.   if you are getting good signal, then pinpointing them is
fairly simple...   either they are really really close...   *less
than 150ft.~ 250ft*  or they are really really powerful...   see omni
directional antenna's..

if they are setup to use omni's to increase power then they might be
doing this on purpose.

now... here are some tools that you could use in your network...
and or use in wardriving, and or in the securing of your own network.

you are aware of netstumbler  www.stumbler.net  so you have half the
tools already.  a working knowledge of its use... (or a similar
program)

next is either a computer with a usb wlan nic, or a laptop with a
pcmcia card...    why either of these?

well...   lets look at the tech spec's of 802.11b (this is an
assumption per the email didn't say.)

2.4ghz is absorbed very well by one very common material:
water.

Since the human body is mostly water we can find the ap by
interposing your body, or even your hand, to eliminate directions
that the signal can be coming from. when the signal fades, the ap is
behind you.  (or behind your hand)

keep in mind that your neighbor may not be happy to see you.

here are a few additonal links that may provide additional
information:

Yagi (cantenna)  *these are powerful directional antenna's.*
www.netscum.com/~clapp/wireless.html

Pringles Yagi *scroll down to the all in the can version*
www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448
I have gotten a 14 dBi gain using this small, 8 dollar solution.
(may cost more if you buy a pigtail, i just soldiered the wire
direction into a pcmcia card.)

yet another web page of interest:
www.wireless.org.au/~jhecker/

There is a solution using a compaq ipaq, (and possibly other winCE or
linux based handhelds...   but this can run anywhere from 250 to 1000
to put together...

the gps is only needed if you are actually trying to scan an area or
a route, as stopping and jotting down the closest intersection is
dangerous and impractical...   (not that it can't be done.)

(The only reason I know any of this, is cause when I was working in
the Outbound Services section of Compusa, my boss wanted to research
alternate sources of income to our department. He never implemented
my proposals, and hence, never made any money off of it.  I have a
business model of sorts worked out, and would be happy to
demonstrate, train, and develop equipment solutions for someone
interested in implementing it as a business.

And on a side note, at my last count, 6 months or so ago, there where
2146 unsecured residential waps, and 7 insecure business waps in
Johnson county, KS.   Similar numbers can be found in other parts of
town.

On a side side note, one of those insecure business waps is located
at the Olathe PD station near 135th and I35.)

--
Bob Ferrier, boblist at kc.rr.com on 07/12/2003