[ot] Chicago

Phoenician phoenician at phoenixcolony.com
Thu Jul 10 14:55:37 CDT 2003

<snip>
> I also lived there.  Here are are my choices:
>
> The Handcock over Sear's
> None of the Pizza places, too touristy.
> Boat ride put on by the architecture soc.
> The Botanical Garden.
> At night the Ravinia music concerts.  Everything from Jazz, to Dylan to
> the synphany is just great.
> If you are close to downtown.  Walk into the Rookary (across from the
> Federal Res. Bank) the interior was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
>
> For anyone on this list the Mus. of Sci. and Industry is a must see.
> (pay extra to see the only captured German U-boat from WWII.)  Then come
> home and watch the movie  Das Boot.
<snip

:> Don't forget the Oriental Institute Museum.

http://www-oi.uchicago.edu/OI/MUS/HIGH/OI_Museum_Highlights2.html

It's a small hole in the wall Museum highlighting many many many artifacts,
sculptures, and mummies from the middle east and Africa.

Simply amazing.  It's located in Cottage Grove, which itself is a beautiful
area.
The Field Museum and the Museum of Sci and Ind are also very neat places but
do not
forget the planetarium, which happens to be next door to Shed's Aquarium.
Oh! And Lincoln Park Zoo.
:> Also down near the lake front, close to Buckingham fountain and also near
Shed's, the Field Museum,
and the Museum of Science and Industry.

The lions in front of the Field Museum are statues of two of the man eating
lions
from Tsavo, Kenya and also the subject of the true story 'The Ghost and the
Darkness'.

As far as transportation, Chicago has a pretty good public transportation
system.
The bus is very reasonable and literally goes everywhere in Chicago.

If you have the or inclination, read 'The Immortal Class: Bike Messengers
and the Cult of Human Power
by Travis Hugh Culley'.  It's very well written and takes place in Chicago.
It's an autobiography
of a bike messenger that offers an extraordinary insight to the world around
us.

- Michienne