You say MODE-EM, I say Modem

Thu Jul 10 04:20:55 CDT 2003

Brian Kelsay wrote:
>  >  If you haven't ever worked with electrical engineers,
>
>> then someday you are in for a treat.  They are a whole breed all their
>> own.  They have never been touched by their jobs being considered cool
>> or cutting edge.  The pop culture has not embraced and retarded their
>> lingo.  Yet they are most notably some of the most intelligent folks I
>> have ever worked with.
>

> I don't think I understand what you mean by "embraced and retarded."
>
> Brian

When it became popular to be a little bit geek, everyone started using
computer terms.  The problem is they only had the most rudementry
understanding of the terms, and so they retarded the terms into
something else.  One of the worst cased is the word hacker.  Another one
is CPU.  Just ask someone average who has a computer about their cpu,
and they will point to the black or grey box under their desk.  I could
go on, but it would just be more of the same.  Pop culture has accepted
computer terminology, but in the process has lost much of its meaning.