DNS server setup

Christopher M Downs cdowns at drippingdead.com
Mon Jul 7 10:31:06 CDT 2003

the purpose of having 2 dns servers is so that replication and dns
failover is available for your records. You should want the primary dns
server on a reliable connection and the second could be on a cable
network if need be.

Remember anything updated on the master will be pushed to the slave. You
must always remember to update your serial num on the master when
rehupping the service, this is what tells bind "oh hey we have new
records, lets find all corrisponding slaves and 'notify' them"

here is a power dns chroot $ENV I  wrote for use under redhat, chrooting
bind is a highly recommended proceedure.

http://www.lifeatzero.com/howto/chroot_named.txt

if this was an internal dns server I would recommend using named ACL
lists for network request verification.

hope this helps.

~!>D