DNS server setup

Matthew Freeland matthew at mfreeland.net
Mon Jul 7 06:27:41 CDT 2003

Hi.  I own the domain mfreeland.net, which I wish to use as my personal domain
for email/web site/ftp/telnet/etc.  I read a HOWTO for BIND9 and set up the
server.  All seems to be working when I dig to localhost, so I think I have
everything configured.  If you need it, I can send coppies of my named.conf
and zone files.  The problem I have is that when I went to my registrar,
godaddy.com, and tried to change my nameservers to ns.mfreeland.net (my
machine), it said a) you need 2 nameservers, and b) the nameserver is not
registered.  What must I do to get the nameserver registered, and is there
any way to get around needing 2 nameservers?  My server will be running from
my dorm room, so I don't think they'll want me running 2 PCs fulltime.  I
understand that the slave server is supposed to be there in case the primary
fails, but honestly, I don't care if my website goes down for a short time;
it's just a private website.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Matthew Freeland

PS   Sorry if this goes out twice, I'm having trouble with the emtp server
that my address is currently routed to.