Networking DSL/Cabling Issues

Rusty kujayhawkbb at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 19:57:04 CDT 2003

--- Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com> wrote:
> Essentially, you're making things more complicated than they are.
> There
> are only two types of ethernet cables: patch or crossover.

Don't forget the rollover cable - used to connect the console port on a
router/switch to your PC for administration. It reverses all 8 wires
instead of just the 2-pr that are used in standard "ethernet"**
connections (typically not more than 6' long, and flat as opposed to
round like typical CAT-5)

> The technical name for the plastic connector on the end of Ethernet
> cables is "RJ-45". I don't know what it stands for.

Registered Jack - 45 (for 4-pr or 8-wire cable) as opposed to RJ-11
(for 2-pr or 4-wire cable) which is used for standard phone
connections.

** Anything using CAT-5 or similar cabling is *NOT* technically
"ethernet" but is just based on the same CSMA-CD/contention based
access method originating with "true" ethernet networks. But that's all
pretty much nit-picking, and I'm afraid I'll just be muddying the water
unnecessarily by even bringing it up. See IEEE 802.xx specifications
for details. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself!! :o)