Networking DSL/Cabling Issues

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Thu Jul 3 18:00:06 CDT 2003

Adam Davis wrote:

>The DSL modem needs a 10BASE-T connection, but I'm not precisely sure what
>that means.  Do I need to get a different type of networking cable?  Is
>there somethinge else I'm completely missing?

Whew. I'm feeling a bit dizzy after that.

Essentially, you're making things more complicated than they are. There
are only two types of ethernet cables: patch or crossover. For this type
of setup you'll be using all patch cables. If the connector on the ends
of the cables fit in to the jack, they're ethernet cables. If the cable
was working before you bought the hub between your modem and computer,
it's a patch cable. So, I think you have all the right cables. You don't
have to use the one that came with the router. It's just a short patch
cable. Use any patch cable you please.

The technical name for the actual wires/copper used to carry the signal
is "CAT-5". There are more electrically shielded and lower impedance
versions called "CAT-5e" and "CAT-6" but they are more expensive and
you'd only want to use them for really long distances or for Gigabit
Ethernet (1,000 Mb/s).

The technical name for the plastic connector on the end of Ethernet
cables is "RJ-45". I don't know what it stands for. That's just the way
it is. It will probably stay this way until fiber optics become common
place to run around your house.

Here's how to set it up: you will need to connect a cable from the "WAN"
port on the router to the DSL modem. Connect 1 cable to each computer
using 1 port on the back of the router. Do not place a cable in the port
labled "Uplink" if it has one.

Each computer connected should be using "Optain an IP address
automatically" and you may need to use your router's instruction booklet
to find information on connecting to your router's configuration utility
using a web browser to enter the username and password used to sign on
to DSL. The router handles all of the "dialing" and connection
maintaining so it must have that information stored on it.

Also, I'm assuming you're using Windows: don't expect the router to "pop
up as new hardware" -- that's not how Ethernet works. You simply go to
networking set up and make sure your LAN connection is configured to get
an IP automatically, plug in the cables and make sure everything is on.
Also, the internal network may be working just fine and you simply
haven't configured the router with the DSL username and password yet.

--
Just my three trits.
7A81 0A2F 1ABE DC38 DABC  7C22 B2EE 2304 4A89 46BF