trying to install a module

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 06:13:05 CDT 2003

Brian Kelsay wrote:

> I'm trying to build a module to install on a freshly loaded RedHat 9
> system.  The video for linux (v4l2) has to be built first and then the
> BrookTree (bttv) module must be built for using a video capture card.
> Anyway, when I try to run a make on the modules source I get an error
> and a message that my kernel is not enabled for modules.  That is BS,
> because I can run lsmod and see the currently loaded modules and rmmod
> and remove a module that I'm not going to need.  So what's up?
>
> At the v4l site (http://bytesex.org/v4l/build.html) I see this message:
>
> If you run in trouble with the distribution kernel, try a vanilla kernel
> from kernel.org instead. The RH9 kernel for example doesn't work without
> some tweaks in the drivers source code because they backported lot of
> stuff from 2.5.x and broke source level compatibility with vanilla 2.4.x
> kernels.
>
> To me this just doesn't sound right.  Is it possible that RedHat was
> trying to gain some functionality in the 2.5 kernel and that is what
> broke it for this module?  I guess I don't really understand what I'm
> reading.
>
> Brian

xawtv is capturing video and I can adjust the channels.  The interface
sucks.  It has all these separate windows for channel editor, options,
etc. and you have to keep changing focus between them to do things such
as adjust the channel, change the call sign for the channel then back to
the tv view window to adjust brightness and color.  Also when you change
channels you have to adjust the color and brightness all over again.  I
can't get it to behave consistently.  Also trying to delete a channel
from the editor causes a seg fault adn you have to relaunch xawtv
although the sound continues to come out of the speakers.
Brian

PS more to come as the MythTV project continues. I am working on the
howto as it applies to Redhat 9 and my hardware.