frontpage apache question

Jared Smith jared at trios.org
Fri Jan 3 20:13:01 CST 2003

>>The extensions are working. or appear to be since I
>>can connect with Frontpage and publish.
>>Just won't serve up the scripts.
>
>Check the docs at www.apache.org for how to enable a java parser.

Before we get too far into trying to solve a JavaScript problem
with a Java manual, let's clarify things.

Java and JavaScript are quite different from each other.

Java is typically a server side application, requiring
a client-side plug-in to work in any browser.

JavaScript is typically a client side application, built in
to all browsers since 1994 as a way of rendering HTML
document objects. This is called DHTML.

Thus your problem with "Apache not serving .js files"
is probably not an Apache problem, since Apache's
only relationship with .js is like any other simple text file;
basically, if Apache is working at all, it's able to serve
js files.

Therefore, look at your Frontpage or browser settings
to see why .js is not working.

-Jared