was: graphics artists? now: trademarks

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Thu Feb 27 18:19:22 CST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Eric R. wrote:

> Ok... I was afraid of something like this... I have registerd "Linux
> Alternatives" and recieved a tax ID #.  I have http://linuxalternatives
> registered and online.
>
> Have I made a mistake?  Do I need to change the name of the company and
> everything?

I don't think Linus wants a percentage of your revenues.  No one is likely
to complain about your business, because it deals with linux.  I suppose
you could use this an excuse to get autographed permission from the Man
himself and He might be tickled that another person chose to have "Linux"
in their business name.

But people might be unhappy if you do something bad like sell linux
software for spammers or use it for other evil means.

The only thing I would worry about is if he really has the time to care if
you ask for permission.  Imagine all the mailing lists and cc'd email he
has to wade through every morning.

If you are going to ask for permission, ask to get it on a signed picture
of him.  That would be priceless.

--
"It is the duty of a patriot to protect his country from its government"
-Thomas Paine