Closed Circuit Video on Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Feb 27 14:50:48 CST 2003

Quoting Jim Herrmann <kclug at ItDepends.com>:

> I was thinking this could be an excellent application of linux.

I'm with Charles on this one - what does Linux bring to the picture?
(If you'll excuse the phrase...)

You need cameras, you need one or more monitors, but why do you need a
general purpose computer in the stream?  Security camera technology
would let you have multiple cameras on one monitor, or (probably for no
more money) you could do one monitor for the drum room, one for the
main room.

I think I would also recommend a camera in the control room with
monitors in the studio.  This would help maintain a human, interactive
interface in the absence of the window.

You can also treat the glass a little differently if you decide to
preserve it.  Go with multiple panes at alternating angles instead of a
single pane.