Webrings - A good thing?

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Thu Feb 27 13:11:23 CST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, James Colannino wrote:

> I've noticed that by joining webrings for a particular group or hobby, I
> have been able to greatly increase traffic (and meaningful traffic, not
> just people passing through.)  However, I also don't want it to reflect

I don't know about webrings, but if you do something crazy enough to get
noticed by slashdot readers, you might experience this thing they call
traffic.  More often, authors of HOWTOs like to link with pages that give
additional information on a project.  If you watch your server logs for
the refering pages, you may notice the value of your site, if any.

Also, google loves to catch morsels of information in the web.  If you
have content, google will chew on it.  You don't need to wake up these
spiders, they know you are there for just existing.  If people click on
it, these spiders may wake up.  "Spyware" sites, such as alexa.com monitor
traffic details to sites and might help give hints to search engines that
folks do use your site for content.

In other words, "if you build it, they will come."

--
"It is the duty of a patriot to protect his country from its government"
-Thomas Paine