DSL and NAT'ed customer addresses

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Sat Feb 22 16:48:11 CST 2003

Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> NAT
>
> MyLinuxBox(ip=ip1) <== NATer ==> outside world (ip=ip2)
>
> dyndns does a great job for dynamically assigned/changing IPs but how
> does it help when the insideIP!=outsideIP?

Gotta love ASCII art.

In my case, my NAT has dyndns support (it's a NETGEAR broadband router).
The dyndns support is only available if you telnet in to the NAT and
configure it there. So, anyways, the NAT sends -its- IP to dyndns.

Then, I tell the NAT that any connections coming in on port 22 from the
outside world get forwarded to 192.169.0.1. You can only forward one
port to one IP address. So, to access all my other boxen via SSH, I log
in to my box and then SSH again inside my network.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.