here's cron log file that I have

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Feb 14 17:29:30 CST 2003

Quoting Kevin Hodle <kevinh at aos5.com>:

> This is interesting.  I have never had any troubles with editing
> the /etc/crontab file manually (and then kill -HUP'ing crond), all the
> jobs I put in it seem to run fine.  I tried the crontab -e and it
> appears to load /etc/crontab in vi, but from a location in /tmp...
> Could you elaborate on the reasoning for this?

I'm not sure what the reasoning is. The crontab command maintains
individual crontab files for each user, and automatically "installs"
them when you exit.  This probably involves copying the edited file
from /tmp to the target location and re-loading cron.

It seems to me that there was some sort of "do not editi this file
directly" text in the first RedHat relase I worked with, otherwise Ive
gotten the practice from some RedHat book or HOWTO.