Info From the Real SpamCop

Admin at Desynergy Networks admin at desynergy.com
Thu Feb 13 21:10:23 CST 2003

FYI.  I finally got someone to respond.

----- Forwarded message from SpamCop Admin <spamcop at rmci.net> -----
    Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:38:26 -0700
    From: SpamCop Admin <spamcop at rmci.net>
 Subject: Info From the Real SpamCop   -    (was Re: This is your last
warning
   7347ARax7-288tSTC3139pdP-23)
      To: "Admin @ Desynergy Networks" <admin at desynergy.com>

I'm sorry you got tangled up in this.  The mail you're getting that looks
like it's from SpamCop is a forgery.  The whole thing is a hoax.  We have a
revenge seeking spammer who is trying his best to cause trouble for us by
causing trouble for you.  This is the eighth such attack on us recently.

SpamCop is an anti-spam reporting service that sends something like 100,000
complaints a day to spammer hosts worldwide, which has made this particular
spammer very angry.  However, we only send complaints about specific
messages, not general indictments of a system, or anything like that.

Actual SpamCop complaints would come from an address like
12345678 at reports.spamcop.net.  Each complaint has a unique numbered
address.  Spam complaints are the *only* mail we send.  We do not promote
ourselves, nor do we work with bulk mailers or list managers.  Obviously we
send bounce notices and stuff like that, but generally not anything else.

We would appreciate it very much if you would not block
service at admin.spamcop.net, deputies at admin.spamcop.net, or spamcop.net in
general.  However, addresses such as postmaster, webmaster, hostmaster,
abuse, support, etc, are not in use on our system, so you could block mail
from them because any use of those addresses would be a forgery.

You can see a sample SpamCop complaint
here:  http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/338.html

You can read the latest about the forgery
here:  http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/124.html

- Don -

----- End forwarded message -----