SpamCop.Net

Seth Dimbert s.dimbert at fhmr.com
Thu Feb 13 15:11:32 CST 2003

I have never received an e-mail like that, but I'm familiar with SpamCop.
You see (hangs head)I'm a member.

Almost a year ago, the spam was unbearable. I heard about SpamCop and
checked it out... it looked fantastic.. I have an e-mail address that I
love, which has been mine for almost 10 years. Problem is, I was using it 10
years ago... when spam wasn't much of a problem. And I signed up for all
sorts of crap with it... it's all over the internet and, sad to say, on a
lot of lists.

So, SpamCop looked very attractive. It filters close to 100 messages a day
out of my incoming mail and seems to be more than 95% accurate. But, I've
read quite a bit over the last 6 months or so about how blunt a tool
blacklists are and how SpamCop blocks legitimate mail, throwing the baby out
with the bathwater. (They once blocked ALL of Aol.com. Not a big loss, but
still...)

So, it doesn't surprise me that SpamCop is blocking your mail... it's
technology that is past its prime. I still use them because they give me
IMAP access to my account... but I know that they're dangerous. I don't lose
a lot of legitimate mail, but I know that a lot of other people do.

This is one of the mail reasons I'm looking forward to a change of
employment this summer... I won't be married to Outlook any longer, which
means that I can use either Apple's Mail (if I buy a Mac) or some other tool
with bayesian filtering (if I buy a PC).

So, in short, I have no help or solutions to offer you, but I know how big
of a bummer what you're describing is.

-SD