DVD writing?

John O'Brien obrien.john60 at itazuke.org
Thu Feb 13 09:25:07 CST 2003

 > First, I finally got my SuSE 8.1 up and running.  (Sort of)  It will
> > only run so far in text mode. "They say" I have to get rid of my serial
> > mouse to get the graphics part working.
>
> You mean X will not start?  Does the mouse prevent it from starting?  Or
> does the cursor not move in X?  I can run X without a mouse.  This is
> interesting.

I wouldn't say it doesn't start.  I get a pretty colored screen (not sure of
the color
I'm color blind) maybe purple, with 3 large buttons on it but the entire
system
then shuts down (locks up) and can't even be ctl-alt-del'd; it has to be
shut of and
turned back on to work again.  "They - SuSE support" are blaming it on the
serial mouse.  Disconnecting the mouse was the only way I could get the OS
to load, so they could be correct.

> > Anyhow, I keep getting these wonderfully informative ads telling me I
> > can write DVD disks on my CD-RW drive.  Can I?  If so, is there a linux
> > version available that works?
>
> cdrecord and its graphical front end, xcdroast, can write to dvd's if you
> have a dvd recorder.  Recording data is no problem.  Creating a multimedia
> experience is for the adventurous.

But that's not what these ads are claiming.  They are saying you can record
DVD's
on a regular CD-RW drive, using their software.
John