linux and MS front page

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Wed Feb 12 18:45:46 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> I'm not really clear on what FrontPage does for people.  I know it's a basic
> HTML WYSIWYG editor that provides a structured organisation of your files and
> allows you to "publish" via FTP or other transport.  What does having the
> extensions on the server really provide?

I don't think Front Page Extensions do transfers via FTP.  It's a
technology called "WebDAV" - which IIRC is sort of like SMB/CIFS over
HTTP.

> More importantly, is there a way we can provide similar services without
> compromising security, sanity, and integrety and putting MS dreck on our
> servers?

Hehe... not sure there is.  When we lay with the dogs (start supporting
Front Page clients) we get their fleas (inherit their problems).
D.

--
Decker - CNA, MCP.             |       http://www.dustindecker.com             |