I need some advice about Open-Source

Jared Smith jared at trios.org
Wed Feb 12 14:54:45 CST 2003

Not just gigabytes of space, but plenty of bandwidth, also.
Yep, you'd definitely need to use Linux. :-)

The Marr Sound Archives at UMKC would be a good place to
start, locally. It's a huge archive of old recordings. If
you were to convince UMKC to host an open-source upload/download
site, it would probably be leveraged in some way with those
archives. Your angle would be to collect a running archive of
sound, to extend the Marr Sound Archives, using the "open"
format to lower costs to admin costs only. The man who runs the
archives is a genial fellow, has a local radio show. If you could
get material together to convince him, then he'd be able to
help you convince the rest of the university who would
fund such a project. If not, then he'd have some pointers
for who to talk to next.

The web archive is funded in a similar manner, by a university.
http://www.archive.org/

Bruce Perens might have some advice for you; he's recently convinced
a big publishing house to support open source books. He's a pretty
busy man, though, so I'd suggest having a solid proposal and
commitment to a long-term project before contacting him for help.
http://www.perens.com/

Here's an online resource you might take a look at.
http://www.opensource-music.com/

and the vorbis music page:
http://www.vorbis.com/musicsites.psp

and someone already has a license for you to use:
http://www.rootrecords.org/osml.html

-Jared