Scary stuff on the web

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Wed Feb 12 05:14:56 CST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Bradley Miller wrote:

> There's probably a ton of more interesting things on the net, let alone
> what you can probably get from snail mail or investigative things.
> There is even court dockets and all sorts of other juicy info just
> waiting to be plucked from lots of online resources.  If people are nosy
> enough, they can find just about anything they want about anyone.  I
> know from experience here . . . unfortunately Sept 11 was a final
> chapter for part of the saga of my family, contact me off the list if
> you'd like details.

Information wholesalers.  The companies that buy information from the
larger companies, such as TRW.  All you need is a business license and a
modem.  They might be doing them over the internet these days, but it was
strictly by modem last time I checked.  Free trials.

I would find the "demo" applied to social security numbers wasn't really a
demo, but the real stuff.  Every possible thing I wanted to know about
myself, from all the numbers of my credit history, driving history,
medical, criminal, or lack of, etc., was all there.

Its for employers who wish to screen potential employees.  My last
employer had it automated on their computer network and could be pulled up
by requesting the correct screen number from the mainframe.  There are
some rules displayed to help one stay out of trouble, but its all there
for the asking.  The only thing they don't do is a personal background
check on a person, but only how they are seen by the "system."

I hear John Ashcroft has the deluxe version.  With checkboxes to give a
person extra attention from the IRS, send their draft card, etc.

Someone's knocking on my door...

--
"It is the duty of a patriot to protect his country from its government"
-Thomas Paine