Open Source vs. Shared Source

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Mon Feb 10 15:54:00 CST 2003

Thought I'd pass along this link I browsed via /. this morning.
It's a very good explaination of the difference between Open Source
licenses such as GPL and BSD, as well as the extremely borg'ish Shared
Source program that Microsoft is pushing so hard these days.

Very interesting information to have tucked back in the recesses of your
mind if you are given cause to debate with the M$ camp on Shared Source.
Aptly titled "Picking up your marbles", vis-a-vis ,"What's to prevent
Microsoft from simply picking up their marbles, so to speak, and taking
them home if a Shared Source licencee falls out of favour with them?"

http://linux.org.au/~leonb/articles/picking-up-your-marbles.html

Cheers,
Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |"They use different words for things in  |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | America.  For instance they say evevator|
| 913.579.7117                | and we say lift.  They drapes and we say|
*-----------------------------| curtains.  They say president and we say|
                              | brain damaged git."                     |
                              |		-- Alexie Sayle                 |