Preferred video card

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Feb 8 03:33:45 CST 2003

Quoting Charles Steinkuehler <charles at steinkuehler.net>:

> I have gotten my new 2.4 GHz Athlon system running RedHat, and even
> gotten the new NVidia graphics card (Asus V9280S Ti4200 based) working
> with the NVidia drivers.

> By "slow", I mean slower than a Win2K Athlon system (1.2 GHz) with an
> NVidia GX2 based VGA card for the same operation (dragging a window,
> with the window contents moving too, not just the window frame) in the
> same operating mode (1280 x 1024 x 24bit).

You didn't say how much RAM you had - remember that XWindows generally wants at
leat 4X what MS does.

Also, remember that if you've installed generic RedHat, you have a lot of
debugging code and generic one-compile-runs-all stuff in X.  We have good
reports on the effectiveness of compiling X and the kernel to get really nice
improvements in efficiency.