Preferred video card

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Feb 7 16:40:04 CST 2003

I have gotten my new 2.4 GHz Athlon system running RedHat, and even
gotten the new NVidia graphics card (Asus V9280S Ti4200 based) working
with the NVidia drivers.  I think it was also running in AGP mode (the
NVidia /proc entries indicated it was running 8X AGP), but it still
seemed pretty slow (based on dragging a large window around on the
screen).  I am running RedHat 8 (X 4.2 and the default Gnome install).
  I haven't yet tried KDE, but it's installed, so I can try it if necessary.

By "slow", I mean slower than a Win2K Athlon system (1.2 GHz) with an
NVidia GX2 based VGA card for the same operation (dragging a window,
with the window contents moving too, not just the window frame) in the
same operating mode (1280 x 1024 x 24bit).

I'm considering getting different graphics card for the linux system
(since it looks like getting a 2-user system running with the NVidia
closed-source driver might be intractable), and putting this card into a
windows system (for directX game-play), so I'm wondering which cards
work "best" for linux.

"Best" for me means accelerated 2D performance (ie rapid window drawing
and moving) at high resolution (true-color, 1280x1024 or 1600x1280),
rather than 3D performance.  Since I'm thinking of trying to get a
dual-user system running (involving an unknown amount of patching), I'd
like a card with good open-source drivers, which should be available in
both AGP and PCI versions (since it looks like I'm going to need two
physical cards to do true dual-user...saddly, I don't think I can get a
dual-head card to talk to two different X servers at once, although I'm
still investigating).  I do have an older Rage 128 card (PCI), if that's
a good choice, but I'm not against buying two entirely new cards.

Any suggestions or URL's for good info?

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net

P.S.  Is there an unambiguous way to tell if I'm talking to the card via
AGP?  While I'm very familiar with low-level linux config for most
things (SCSI, networking, RAID, etc), this is my first big forray into
the linux desktop world, so I'm unfamililar with the whole video driver
mess.