CVS setup question...

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Thu Feb 6 15:47:35 CST 2003

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Dustin Decker wrote:

> Wish I had an answer - I'm CVS challenged.  I'd be interested in what you
> find out though, I'm _supposed_ to set this up some day for a friend who
> wants to (yuck) use wincvs to access it.
> I downloaded a PDF doc a while back with a title something like
> "Developing on the Linux Platform" that covered several other topics, but
> has a small bit about CVS.  I don't have the link handy, but will see if I
> can dig it up (or if the info is really going to help you for that matter)
> when I get to the office.

Setting up CVS is pretty straightforward.  The manual at

    http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/

should tell you everything you need to know.  Note that if you want to
setup up an anonymous, chrooted CVS server things get a little more
complicated.  The OpenBSD folks have a package at

    http://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.shar

that helps.

In a similar vein, has anyone tried Subversion yet?  It's supposed to be a
lot more usable and secure than CVS.