Outlook replacement

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Thu Feb 6 15:09:08 CST 2003

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Quoting Hal Duston <hald at sound.net>:
>
> > Actually (having just refreshed my memory by rereading RFC1931), I can
> > state that an email client _does_ in fact use SMTP to send the mail.
> > POP3 has no mechanism for sending mail, only retrieving it.
>
> Sorry not to cite docs, but there is an extension to POP3 that allows the
> client to return an outbound message using the POP3 transport.  Most of the
> better commercial clients such as Eudora and Outlook support it.

I kinda had this in the back of my mind, but figured I'd mis-fire again.
<grin>  I think a lot of these are in the "pop before smtp" world or some
such where you authenticate via pop3, and then it is willing to accept
mail from you.  This way, you can be on pretty much any IP, and not need
an entry in /etc/mail/access for relaying.  (Presuming you're using
sendmail for example.)  I don't know if it's really using POP as the
transport or not, but I get the impression it isn't.  If it is, it would
require that the POP server actually support inbound mail too, which I've
not seen.

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |  Windows 95: n.                         |
| Moon-Lite Computing         |  32-bit extensions and a graphical      |
| 913.579.7117                |  shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit   |
*-----------------------------|  operating system originally coded for  |
                              |  a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a   |
                              |  2-bit company that can't stand for     |
                              |  1 bit of competition.                  |