Shut laptop.... whacked resolution...

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Wed Feb 5 23:00:40 CST 2003

My IBM Thinkpad does goofy things sometimes too when waking up from sleep.
Sometimes it will start up sending video to external port only and then
lock up when I try to switch it back to the internal screen.  It also has
screen modes for displaying less than max resolution where it can "stretch"
the pixels to fill out the screen, and it has been known to switch that
capability on and off without any intervention on my part.  At first I
thought it was the vid drivers or Win2k, but then I realized that it was
changing its own bios to change the video modes, so there was really
nothing I could do about it.

So, what you're telling me about your Dell is no surprise at all.  I don't
have any answers, but I feel for ya man!

- Kevin

                    Matt Graham

                    <linux at bizniche.com>         To:     kclug at kclug.org

                    Sent by:                     cc:

                    owner-kclug at marauder.i       Subject:     Shut laptop....  whacked
resolution...
                    lliana.net

                    02/05/2003 04:40 PM

Man...  all these meetings you guys are having sound cool. Field trips
and all?!?  Looks like we have a date now...  we'll be moving out there
the first week of June.

So, I found something interesting.  I'm running rh8 on my laptop (dell
inspiron 8200).  When I shut the lid or the screen goes off to conserve
battery power, the resolution is stretched funny when it comes back on
(or when I open it up.)  It's about twice as wide as it is tall, and
only half the screen (with crazy proportions) is showing.  In the
display settings, I made sure it was using the correct (I think) monitor
and that the physical size is set.  Tho...  I use a ruler to find the
physical size.   Still...same stuff.

The only way to fix it is to restart X.  I just use ctrl-alt-bksp.

Has anyone seen this before?

Matt