Outlook/Exchange

Jared Smith jared at trios.org
Wed Feb 5 17:34:06 CST 2003

>apparently you haven't read the EULA. . . most people don't!

The EULA is an extremely concise way to understand what MS is
doing; there is no need to read the Halloween docs; just read their
EULA with a good understanding of why each clause is in there,
and their past history, future strategy, and internal stability is
easy to see. This is true for any large corporation who writes their
own EULA, Terms of Service, etc. They're covering for past mistakes
and preparing for future ventures, and legalese is a thin disguise once
you can work your way through it. It's a whole lot more honest than
their annual report!

As for their software, I quite like it. I find I want more out of my computer
than they allow, though, and so I use Open Source. If Windows were
a window, instead of a one-way hallway, I'd use it more. It's not about
quality of coding, it's about controlling their customers.

<rant>
Some people cannot handle freedom responsibly; I work to attract to
Linux only those who can handle the responsibility; let the rest stay
in Windows/AOL/NPR, where they don't muck up the bandwidth.

Open source=0.0 control over customer.
You trust your customer so much you even allow him to modify code,
which is the only thing that separates you from him.

Proprietary=control approaches infinity over time.
Your customer trusts you more and more and eventually no one else.
</rant>

-Jared