Outllook replacement

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Wed Feb 5 02:46:36 CST 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Benjamin Fisher wrote:

> Unfortunately, many college campus' don't use the latest versions of
> windows stuff, especially the mail server.  Mostly because of the time
> involved - financial shortages, and (thus) staff shortages.  On my
> campus where I am at, this semester they just upgraded to Exchange 5.0.
> Exchange 2000 will probably never happen.  Unless I graduate first.
> 4.0 & 5.0 both don't work with Evolution.  I still use evolution, and am

But they _do_ speak pop3 and imap - your admin is a fruit-loop for not
providing alternative access.

> And, like I said, the administrator gave me some half-witted,
> half-madeup explanation reminiscient of most MCSE's.  (c;  Oh well.

Ah yeah - this is where you run up against the difference between an MCSE
of the NT 4.0 vernacular vs. someone with current credentials.  Lots of
4.0 paper tigers wandering around out there - and boy can they make an
ugly mess of Win2K.

The hope at this point is that some of these Windows droolers (I used to
be one about 6 years ago) will get more exposure to Linux in the future.
This does wonders for their intellect - most of them don't even know what
a bastion host is.  (What, you mean I shouldn't install Exchange, IIS,
Media Services, Active Directory, and a host of other services all on a
single server?)  Between now and then, you're probably just going to have
to grin and bear it.  (Or supplant your current admin - what a shit job
eh?)

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |                                         |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | "How many teamsters does it take to     |
| 913.579.7117                |  screw in a light bulb?"                |
                              | "FIFTEEN!! YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?"|