Via processors - o.k.?

Steven Hildreth s_p_hildreth at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 4 18:17:10 CST 2003

We have about 15 of the Walmart boxes installed, with all using Gentoo
1.4rc1, little if any problems encountered.

Here is some cpu info:
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: CentaurHauls
cpu family	: 6
model		: 7
model name	: VIA Samuel 2
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 797.988
cache size	: 64 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips	: 1592.52

Notice that we had a lot of segfualts and general stability problems
using i686, switched to i586 and no problems since.

Here are some snippets from our /etc/make.conf:
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i586 -m3dnow -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Steven