new gentoo install - USE variables

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Sun Feb 2 17:29:34 CST 2003

Brian Kelsay wrote:
> Stage Two in progress.

The use flags mostly influence things installed after stage 3 but some
things, like NLS, are important to have in there at the very beginning.
I would actually not worry too much about ufed until you're at stage 3
(sorry! i though you were using the prebuilt pentium 2 iso). Ufed saves
you allot of time when compiling things that need to have certain flags
turned on or off.

Oh, BTW, DON'T install Mozilla with GTK2 support. Otherwise, leave GTK2
support turned on. Also, don't emerge realone. Realplayer 8 is the only
one that has a working plugin. There is a plugin in the gentoo forums to
use mplayer to play windows media, quicktime, and real formats all from
within mozilla. The ebuild isn't in the portage tree yet.

Some things I've discovered: I was a diehard Gnome 2 fan until I decided
to give KDE-3.1_rc 5 another chance. I LOVE KDE 3.1. I use Kate for
writting C++, HTML, and CSS. Konqueror's built in support for FTP is
excellent. (Because Kate use's the file manager widgets to perform file
opperations, you can actually open a file right off of a WebDAV or FTP
connection and save it back when you're finished editing.) KOffice kicks
ass. The KDM login could use some prettification. Use the Keramik theme
by default and install Geramik for GTK for a pretty Mozilla 1.2.1 that
matches KDE. Here's a screen shot:

<http://www.kcpassages.org/snapshot1.png>

Some cool things to look forward to:
XFree86 4.3 has custom hardware alpha cursors and R&R extensions added
in. KDE 3.1 has implemented the ability to change resolutions from their
control panel and activate a 'glass' mouse cursor by default if it
detects 4.3. Full hardware alpha support (accelerated transparency!
yay!) is slated for 4.4 and KDE already has support for it via the
XRender extension emulated transparent menus option.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.