new gentoo install - USE variables

Steven Hildreth s_p_hildreth at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 15:24:38 CST 2003

I have been using Gentoo since 1.2rc1 (about year and half) and love it.

I use it on a Athlon 1800+, Nvidia Geforce 3, 40 Gig WD, Realtek 8139x NIC.

I use KDE exclusively and I do not like XMMS (to bloated), I use ZINF.

I also manage an OP based public Gentoo Rsync mirror
(rsync11.us.gentoo.org), here are snippets from my /etc/make.conf:

USE="X acpi cdr dvd imap ldap maildir mozilla mysql
tcltk -bonobo -gnome -gpm -xmms"

SYNC="rsync://mirror.omnidox.com/gentoo-portage"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"

DISTDIR=/storage/gentoo/distfiles

What I have is several boxes using Gentoo, so I set one of them up with NFS
and create a /storage/gentoo/distfiles then I use the command 'emerge -fe
world && emerge -fe kde evolution' to get all the initial packages (could
use wget and mirror the site but the total distfiles is around 4.9 gb). This
allows for all of my boxes to use a single distfiles and I only have to
download the tarballs once.

HTH,
Later..
Steven