dont laugh at me...

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Feb 1 05:26:12 CST 2003

If the drives you have are "non-new", then they will not bring "top dollar".
The prices you are seeing are what people might have to pay to replace a
part in a mission critical box.   Depending on the hardware in the machine
or the maintenance agreement they may need to keep the same small drive in
that equipment.   Those old drives will not have the same value to you and
me.

Example:   In a computer shop I listened to a guy bitch for a few minutes
about having to pay $10-15 for a 5 1/4" floppy drive when he had recently
thrown out the last couple he had.   I asked why he was buying the drive
when he just got rid of a couple.   He said he had a client who had deleted
some data that was only backed up on 5 1/4" floppy and they had to get the
data restored.   My response to him was that he should have kept one of the
old 5 1/4" drives or not complain about having to buy one.  I also said,
that he could charge the client for the drive, the travel time, etc. and so
what was the problem?  He said it was just a hassle.   I then told him of a
story I read about the US military or one of its many contractors paying
over $3000 to buy some obsolete tape drive to restore or read some data that
was only on this old format of tape.

Antiques are not always worth some thing because they are old, but because
there is a low supply and a higher demand (need one or for sentimental
reasons).
Good luck getting rid of them.   Check what they are bringing on ebay.com.

Brian Kelsay