Linux Class at Communiversity

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Wed Dec 31 00:06:01 CST 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:

> Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, December 30, 2003 10:24 am, Jason Clinton wrote:
>>
>>> This class  will cover a complete Linux installation from scratch and
>>> lots of vocabulary and schemas.

>> What distribution?
>
> I will be doing a Gentoo GRP installation on the overhead because it's
> educational in nature. Perhaps not as educational as a Slackware install
> but it still lies within the required time constraints.
>
> If students want to install other distros, they are welcome to and I'll
> do my best to assist. I will also provide CD's to any of the major
> distros if people want them.

They will definitely get exposed to Lilo or GRUB (you should cover
both),  but don't make it all about installation.  Hopefully that is
something you only have to do a couple of times.  Luckily this is
something that RedHat has 90-95% done and they don't mess with it a lot.
  Debian has kind of neglected this area and Mandrake spends way too
much time redoing the installer.