Kernal Config (was Lexmark Printer)

Robert Kennedy erwin_k_r at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 23:09:47 CST 2003

--- Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at comcast.net> wrote:

> Was the cups driver for your printer included with
> the distro?  Might
> want to check that before you go thru the trouble of
> Also, did you have your CDRW in the PC when you
> upgraded?  This might
> have simplified things for you.  Most distros run
> thru some sort of
> hardware detection during install.  And yes, your
> life may be easier if
> you have both drives in the PC at the same time.

Brian,

I want to back up my presonal files and whatever my
wife may have in home directory before I upgrade.
That's about 4 CD's full.

I've tried lpt & CUPS multiple times with Suse 7.3.
Neither one has the Z25 listed & none of the many
tools I've tried seems to offer a real chance to find
anything other than the distro's original drivers.
(Unless, maybe, the user is more of a rocket scientist
than I am.) Well, one program might find something
new, but I'd have to burn a CD to use it as the thing
appears to let you substitute some other CD for one of
Suse's.

I've also (very carefully)started the kernal config
utility, but it does not seem to operate as the manual
describes. I've been to several HowTo sites, but the
only one that addresses the burner issue seems really
complicated, when I'd sort of hoped to find "Move
module X to directory Y" or how to add a line to that
big config file that says properly "When booting, add
module XXX to the kernal."

Thanks for everything you've suggested.

Bob Kennedy