Kernal Config (was Lexmark Printer)

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 13:34:24 CST 2003

Robert Kennedy wrote:

> Hello Again,
>
> I decided I'd fought the printer battle long enough
> with my older Susie 7.3 release. So I decided to
> upgrade. (One reason to upgrade is that Lexmark has
> another driver for Suse 8+ that is CUPS based.)
>
> I bought more ram & a MediaStor CD-R/RW burner. The
> ram worked fine on bootup. Do did the CD read
> functions.
>
> However when I tried to burn a CD to back up my home
> directory I got the message: Enable "ide-scsi
> emulation" in the kernal.
>
> I found what I think is the proper module at:
>
> /lib/mocules/s.4.10-4GB/kernal/drivers/scsi/ide-scsi.o
>
> I looked thru /etc/modules.conf  About 80% of the 18k
> file seems to be about sound cards. I did not notice
> anything that might be something I could uncomment to
> activate that module.
>
> At
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.2
>
> I found a fairly complicated way to get this done. I
> sure hope there is something easier. One note, right
> now this is the only CD installed. The above HowTo
> says this makes things a bit more complicated. I can
> re-install the old CD-ROM, if necessary.

Was the cups driver for your printer included with the distro?  Might
want to check that before you go thru the trouble of loading it up.
Also, did you have your CDRW in the PC when you upgraded?  This might
have simplified things for you.  Most distros run thru some sort of
hardware detection during install.  And yes, your life may be easier if
you have both drives in the PC at the same time.