Lexmark Printer - Hip deep & sinking

Brian D quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 29 04:28:50 CST 2003

Whoa there!
Stop what you're doing!

--- Robert Kennedy wrote:
> Hi Brian and Others,
>
> This printer business is driving me nuts. My command
> line skills must be so feeble that I'm missing
> something basic.
>
> Searching around I discovered that
>
> /var/spool/lexmark/Z35Driver/
>
> contains a bunch of stuff. Config files, pipes, etc.
>
> I also found directories named
>
> /var/spool/lpd/lexmark/
> /var/spool/cups/lexmark/
>
> They are empty.
>
> I've been trying to copy the contents of the first
> directory into the others, but I can't seem to get
> it
> done properly.
>
> I created a Z35Driver directory in both locations. I
> finally changed to the source directory and did "cp
> *
> /var/spool/lpd/lexmark/Z35Driver/"
First off, don't copy one directory into another. If
you need to access files in another directory create a

soft link to it, like:
ln -s /var/spool/lpd/lexmark/Z35Driver
/var/spool/lexmark/Z35Driver

Secondly I don't think you want to do this. Have you
tried to configure the printer with CUPS yet? I would
really recommend trying to get CUPS to recognize the
printer. CUPS may even have it's own driver for the
printer. Forget YAST tools for printing. They suck, or
at least that was my experience.

HTH,
Brian