making the switch

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sun Dec 28 02:45:50 CST 2003

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:49:19 -0600 Jonathan Hutchins
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:
> Well, here goes.
>
> After finding that Alsa has a stable release out, and it's NOT
> available for Mandrake, I've decided it's time to switch the
> main workstation to SuSE.
>
> Of course, this is just in time to discover that there's
> something wrong with the address book import feature
> in KMail for SuSE, but I think I'd rather be fixing that
> than be fixing the completely hosed sound system on
> Manrdake.

Are there good sound drivers (maybe OSS) for Mandrake?  For RedHat
Fedora? (I might risk Fedora as I've never used anything other than free
support)  Did Mandrake 9.1 have decent sound drivers?

I'm not quite ready to limit myself to a paid Linux distro, and even the
free FTP install means I'm going to have to worry about keeping
broadband.

I know, I know, Debian.  Its free and apt-get sounds great.  But I've
never been able to get a Debian install completed and I always manage to
mess up some detail which turns out to cause a kernel panic on reboot.