Lexmark Printer - Hip deep & sinking

Robert Kennedy erwin_k_r at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 27 13:43:08 CST 2003

--- Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:
> Now, you guys just advised me, apropos my Lexmark
> Z32, that Lexmark inkjets
> were POS.  The only thing that stands between mine
> and the landfill is the
> effort to haul it to the curb.  Have I been misled?

Jonathan,

Suse 7.3 comes with drivers for the Z32 and about 44
other Lexmark printers. Unfortunately what my wife
bought was not one of them.

Now back to our irregularly scheduled story:

I've got the driver unpacked and put where Lexmark
wanted it. KDE offers 8 shells and I tried all of
them. Root Bash finally allowed a Windblows type
Wizard to start.

However I had to use the "force" option."Background
error Failed to handle background error. Original
error:lpr: unable to print file. Couldn't find package
MSGCAT. Client error-not found."

Using the Wizard I was able to print the alignment
test, but not the test picture. I've put icons on my
desktop for the Lexmark Solution Center and the
printer settings utility. They both seem to work. They
measure the ink levels, I can print a different
alignment test, but test page still won't print.

Yast2 doesn't see the driver. I'm going to go thru the
Suse docs & a book I got last Christmas and see if I
can figure out how to get applications and/or the
system to discover I installed the thing in the first
place.

Thanks for the help, so far. I may be back later.

Bob Kennedy