Sound Quality

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Dec 27 01:49:11 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> I seem to have worked out the levels well enough.  It's odd to have to boost
> the level more for recording than for simple playback, but having done so it
> seems to have produced reasonable quality.
>
> I have some buzz in the recording that sounds like there's a ground loop -
> since both amp and turntable use ungrounded leads, it's likely one of them is
> polarized incorrectly.  If I can't fix that, I'll just run a common ground
> and see if that helps./

I used to have to ground my dad's turntable and stereo tuner when
recording from the turntable to avoid the buzz you are speaking of.  I
think it was because of a dirty power source.  A line conditioner may
have helped also.  I had a similar buzz in a custom auto stereo, with a
lot of watts and an auto line conditioner removed the EM noise added by
the engine.