Sound Quality

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Dec 26 16:25:22 CST 2003

On Wednesday, December 24, 2003 05:19 pm, Jason Clinton wrote:

> Sound Blaster products -- especially those based on the EMU10K1, are
> still the best on the market.

They may be the best of what you've seen and used, Jason, but they're far from
professional audio quality.  The Turtle Beach line is much better for
professional work, and there are some others that are also well above the SB
quality level.

> I would have to hear a little sound snip of the clipping to tell you
> where the problem is, though.

I seem to have worked out the levels well enough.  It's odd to have to boost
the level more for recording than for simple playback, but having done so it
seems to have produced reasonable quality.

I have some buzz in the recording that sounds like there's a ground loop -
since both amp and turntable use ungrounded leads, it's likely one of them is
polarized incorrectly.  If I can't fix that, I'll just run a common ground
and see if that helps./