Digital Cameras

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 24 10:43:11 CST 2003

>From: Robert Kennedy <erwin_k_r at yahoo.com>
>To: kclug at kclug.org
>Subject: Digital Cameras
>Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:05:58 -0800 (PST)
:>Hello All,

>I've been looking at a couple of lower end Olympus
>digital cameras. The specs are pretty decent bang for
>the buck, except for one thing. They use the "xD
>picture card" that Olympus seems to have jointly
>developed with Fuji.
>
>Is this a coming standard? Are they formatted as
>standard USB mass storage devices? Or will this be the
>next 30 pin simm, an electronic Albatross for those
>who buy it?
>
>Enquiring minds want to know!
>
>Happy Holidays to all!
>
>Bob Kennedy

My experience is limited to lower end limited feature gear .
Heres my .02
The range begins from the " barely usable " to " Good Enough "
< $20 " pencams " to blister pack too cheap for removable media being the
bottom .
Pencam barely usable for Ebay . Blister Pack over $ 50 can be almost there
if 1.2 Mp cuts it .
Gotcha being that Drivers are usually win only and Spyware/Adware infested
adding injury to insult .
Anything using CF and rechargable batteries meets "Good enough "  for most
uses .
That said - my current Kodak low end 1.0 Mp camera has been good for most
everything I need .
CF is a mature ,cheap,stable tech and the ability to use microdrives for
large # of high rez shots !
Unless one has reason for high rez the usual problem oddly enough is image
size ...
Ebay and other web services generally want 640x480 and choke on megapictures
  .
Now if one is planning to use images as wallpaper on plasma screen HDTV
monitors- well see Mike  :>

MY next camera wish list would have as priority items ,

Cradle for D/L - preferably with charge in cradle .
Charge batts in camera- see above .
Unique/odd  battery types or soldered in batts are death incarnate to your
sanity and wallet .
STANDARD type USB port as alien unique cables often cost half the street
price of the cam itself .
CF is my preferred media for above reasons but CD/ DVD burner cams may
change rules
ALL doors,flaps switches must be " grandchild resistant "  Waterproof is
nice but overkill for most .
A gazillion trick modes do not replace option for " in shot " date/caption
Tripod threads are a good security device attachment point . This can be a
model make/break point.

The rest is best done by making yourself a mission profile of what you WILL
use Vs what is " cute "
Cameras seem to be marketed to the Tooltime show audience at times :>

Hope this helps .

Oren